Kuwait, August 9, 2017 — Mezzan Holding KSC, one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of food, beverage, FMCG and pharmaceutical products in the Gulf, today announced the company’s financial results for Q2 2017. The company reported KD50.3 million in Q2 revenue, and a Q2 net profit of KD2.0 million. The quarter’s results bring Mezzan Holding’s H1 revenue to KD107.8 million, down slightly by 0.6% from the same period last year, and bring H1 net profit to KD7.3 million, down 26.7% from the same period last year.
- Q2 Revenue KD50.3 million, bringing half-year revenue to KD107.8 m
- Q2 Net profit: KD2.0 million, bringing half-year net profit to KD7.3 m
Mezzan Holding Executive Vice Chairman Mohammed Jassim Al Wazzan said, “We are pleased to announce to our shareholders that this is our ninth quarter of consecutive profitability since our listing on Boursa Kuwait and despite the challenging dynamic of our region. Though we had a drop in profitability due to these factors, our balance sheet and cash positions continue to be strong and ahead of our regional peers while our diversified business model, which is very unique to Mezzan, has proven once again to be our biggest asset.”
Mezzan Holding CEO Garrett Walsh said, “Q2 proved to be a quarter that had both opportunities and some internal and external challenges that were a drag on our profitability. Some of the challenges were addressed while others were beyond our control or influence. With that said, the defensive nature of our business model helped us maintain our revenue level and our continued profitability.
Looking forward, we are working to offset external challenges by maximizing internal opportunities. New synergies are being identified in logistics to lessen the impact of similar situations in the quarters to come and to return to growing our profitability.”
- Q2’17: KD50.3 million, down 4.8%, compared to Q2 2016
- H1’17: KD107.8 million, down 0.6% compared to H1 2016
- Q2’17: KD4.0 million, down 40.6% compared to Q2 2016
- H1’17: KD11.3 million, a decrease of 18.5% compared to H1 2016
- Q2’17: KD2.0 million, down 58.1%, compared to Q2 2016
- H1’17: KD7.3 million, a decrease of 26.7% compared to H1 2016
H1 Financial Performance Review:
- Food Business Line: The Food Business Line accounted for 72.7% of Group Revenue and comprises of Manufacturing and Distribution (52.8%), Catering (13.3%) and Services (6.6%). Revenue reached KD78.3 million, an increase of 1.2% compared with the same period in 2016.
- Manufacturing and Distribution: H1 Revenue increased by 1.4%, with broad based growth across our key operating units. This was largely driven by our food manufacturing divisions and the continued success of Danone products in our trading division.
- Catering: H1 Revenue increased by 13.2% driven by contracts won in Q3 2016.
- Services: H1 Revenue declined by 17.7% due to the temporary client-side disruption of business in Afghanistan and nature of the inconsistent tender flow resulting in periodic revenue fluctuations.
- Non-Food Business Line: The Non-Food Business Line accounted for 27.3% of Group Revenue and comprises FMCG and Pharmaceuticals (24.7% of Group Revenue) and Industrials (2.6% of Group Revenue). Revenue reached KD29.4 million, a decrease of 4.7% compared with the same period in 2016.
- FMCG and Pharmaceuticals: H1 Revenue decreased by 4.5% due to the continued slowdown in the tenders offered by the Ministry of Health, however the difference is gradually being compensated by other areas in our FMCG business.
- Industrials: Revenue decreased by 6.9% driven by slowdown in the plastics manufacturing business.
Regional Business Highlights:
- In Kuwait: H1 Revenue dropped by 1.2%, as the strong start from the beginning of the year was curbed by a soft Ramadan shopping period.
- In UAE: H1 Revenue down by 5.0%, undermined by softer regional exports due to regional circumstances.
- In Qatar: H1 Revenue grew by 2.3%.
- In KSA: H1 Revenue grew by 921.8% as Mezzan continues to focus on gaining a foothold in the region’s largest consumer market.
- In Jordan: H1 Revenue decreased by 39.6% due to challenges to tender-driven business.
About Mezzan Holding:
- Operates in seven countries through 29 subsidiaries with 7,500 employees
- Distributes over 25,000 Stock Keeping Units (SKU), making it one of the largest operators in terms of SKUs, unit sales, market share and in terms of share of revenues of total consumer spending in consumer categories served by the company
- Active in various segments of the consumer staple industry supported by long-standing relationships with Johnson & Johnson, Olayan Kimberly-Clark, Reckitt Benckiser, General Mills, Arla Foods, Sara Lee and many other leading brands and manufacturers
- Serves over 100,000 meals a day in Kuwait, Qatar and the UAE through its catering businessHas a total of 130,000 square meters in food, beverage and FMCG manufacturing facilities in Kuwait, Qatar, UAE and Afghanistan
- Has a total of 130,000 square meters in food, beverage and FMCG manufacturing facilities in Kuwait, Qatar, UAE and Afghanistan
- Leverages long-standing relationships with private and cooperative supermarkets
- Vertically integrated into complementary business operations, including packaging, catering, contract services and logistics
- Food services customers include multinational fast food chains, airline catering services and large food services companies.
Mezzan Holding is 70-year old company that was listed on Kuwait Stock Exchange in the second quarter of 2015. The company headquartered in Kuwait with direct operational activities in Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, and Afghanistan.
For more information, please contact:
Fawaz Al-Sirri | +965 66622448 | firstname.lastname@example.org